For Immediate Release
Contact: David Sweet, County Judge
Rockwall County received confirmation today from the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) that approximately 300 unaccompanied children of Central American descent between the ages of 12 and 18 will be relocated to a temporary camp at Sabine Creek Ranch in Rockwall County.
Rockwall County received the following information from HHSC:
* HHSC has taken the responsibility to ensure for the care, safety and security of the youth during their stay.
* It is a temporary camp for a maximum of 21 days.
* Anticipated arrival in the near future.
* No financial impacts to our public schools or Rockwall County.
* The individuals will not be attending any schools.
* HHSC has ensured health screening clearance.
* There are 2 other sites hosting Central American refugees; one other in Texas and one in California.
* Specific information about each individual housed at the temporary camp will be maintained by HHSC and is not subject to release to County Officials.
Rockwall County is sensitive to the hardships and needs of these unaccompanied children. However, Rockwall County’s first priority is to the safety and security of the citizens of Rockwall County.