Hot Checks Filed Against You

You need to contact the Justice of the Peace office as soon as possible concerning a hot check case against you.

If you wish to plead Not Guilty, you may also request trial by Judge or Jury. That choice is yours. You will need to fill out an Affidavit of Forged Signature if you are alleging that you did not write the check. You are not required to have an attorney in Court, but you may hire one, if you wish. The District Attorney of Rockwall County will have an attorney present to prosecute the case against you. The Judge is prohibited by law from discussing your case with you unless you have plead guilty or no contest or the District Attorney is also present.

If you choose to go to court, you are responsible for bringing all papers, pictures, and exhibits with you to the court hearing. You may also contact the Court for information on how to subpoena witnesses.