Filing Charges

Procedure for Filing
Issuances of Bad Check charges are Class C misdemeanors and can be filed in the Justice of the Peace office. The check must be filed in the county and precinct where it was passed.

Our office accepts checks returned from the bank marked NSF or account closed. Stopped payment checks must be filed as civil suits.

Each check marked NSF must be accompanied by a returned green card or unopened letter that was mailed certified as an attempt to collect the debt before filing the check with the court.

An account-closed check can be filed without the proof of certified mail.

Each filing must be done by completing an affidavit and signing it in front of a court clerk or notary public. The original check and certified mail proof (when applicable) must be filed with the affidavit.