All eviction suits must be filed in the Justice of the Peace Precinct where the property is located. It is important to understand that the Judge is neither an advocate for the landlord or tenant, and each case is tried on its own individual merit.

Once the suit is filed, the Judge holds a hearing to determine who has the superior right of possession to the property. By law, you are only allowed to sue for past due rent in an eviction case. If you are seeking other remedies (accelerated rent, re-letting fees, damages, utilities, deposit) you will need to file a separate suit.

The Eviction Process
Eviction FAQs

If you need more information, please call the Justice of the Peace office at 972-204-6720.

To locate information about Precincts please use the Precinct Finder.

All information presented on this web site is for general informational purposes only, and does not constitute, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. The information provided on this web site is not a comprehensive treatment of any subject matter, and cannot presume to apply in all circumstances and situations. Please consult an attorney for advice relating to your specific case or circumstance.